Faces that experience breakouts are usually characterized by reddened skin due to inflammation and lots of pimples appear. The appearance of acne due to breakouts is generally more common in adolescents and adults.
Besides being triggered by the effects of using skin care products that are not suitable for skin conditions, breakouts can also occur due to hormonal changes or stress.
Difference between Breakout and Purging
Purging is a reaction when the skin removes a layer of dead skin and replaces it with a new layer of skin. Not a few people think that breakout and purging are the same two conditions.
This is because purging is also caused by the effects of using skin care products, especially those containing retinoic acid and tretinoin. However, breakout and purging are two different conditions.
If purging only occurs after using certain skincare products, then breakouts can occur due to several factors, such as:
- Frequently changing types of skincare and cosmetic products
- Consumption of oily food and excess sugar
- Not regularly cleaning the face
- Washing your face too often or using a scrub (exfoliating)
- Habit of touching face with dirty hands
- Too rough rubbing facial skin with a towel
- Does not immediately clean the skin after sweating
- The habit of squeezing pimples
- Unhealthy lifestyle behaviors, such as smoking, lack of sleep, and stress
How to Overcome Breakouts on the Face
To minimize the effects of breakouts and purging, you are advised to use skincare products gradually. For example, in the first week every 3 days, in the second week every 2 days, and so on.
Thus, the skin will get used to the active substances contained in these skin care products. However, if the irritation reaction gets worse and the acne gets worse due to the use of certain skin care products, you should stop using it immediately.
In addition, you can also do the following steps to overcome breakouts on the face:
- Wash your face 2 times a day every morning and night or every time your face sweats
- Wash your hands often and don’t touch or rub your face if your hands are still dirty
- Avoid squeezing pimples because it can increase inflammation
- Choose and use skincare products according to skin type
- Use a moisturizer that is fragrance-free and labeled non-comedogenic
- Use acne medications that contain benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or sulfur
- Apply a healthy lifestyle, such as getting enough rest and managing stress well, so that the breakout reaction on the facial skin quickly subsides
Not everyone experiences purging or breakouts when trying different types of cosmetics or skin care products. The appearance of these reactions usually depends on the type of skin. People who have sensitive skin types will more easily experience breakouts.
If you have tried to apply some of the suggestions for dealing with breakouts as above but nothing changes, you can consult a doctor for treatment. Go to the doctor immediately if the breakout does not improve after 6 weeks or if you have other skin conditions.